Most people deal with some form of ankle pain at various points in their lives, especially if they’re involved in sports or regular exercise. But chronic ankle pain often signals a moderate to severe ankle injury requiring physical therapy or even surgery. At NJ Spine and Wellness, we have the knowledge and compassion you need to get back on your feet pain-free. Our team of orthopedic surgeons will make you feel better faster!
From tendonitis to ankle replacements, we can take care of your ankle problems. If you’re experiencing pain or have had a recent ankle injury, it’s important to create a recovery plan with a healthcare professional, which may involve a range of treatment options.
Common Reasons You Might Need Ankle Surgery
While a sprained ankle or overuse injury may resolve over time with non-surgical treatments and physical therapy, you may need ankle surgery if you experience any of the following issues:
- You’ve broken a bone in your ankle
- You have a torn ligament or tendon in your ankle
- You’re experiencing chronic pain in your ankle area that has stayed the same or become progressively worse
- Your range of motion in your ankle has decreased
- You have trouble standing on your foot normally
- Your ankle impairs certain motor functions such as walking or running
- Morning heel pain
- Bunions or abnormal growth or swelling
To determine which type of treatment is right for you, go to a qualified healthcare professional for an assessment of your ankle condition and proper diagnosis before moving forward with any treatment form.
Most Commonly Performed Ankle Surgeries
While physical therapy and proper home care techniques can alleviate pain associated with many ankle injuries over time, some will require surgery. At NJ Spine and Wellness, we specialize in a wide range of ankle and foot surgeries that provide patients with permanent relief. Some of the most common ankle surgeries we perform include:
- Ankle fusion: Ankle fusion involves taking two damaged ankle bones and fusing them together. This procedure provides optimal pain relief, but it will likely decrease most patients’ range of motion in the affected ankle.
- Ankle replacement: Sometimes, ankle injuries are beyond repair and require a full ankle replacement. This procedure is a common solution for patients over 50 years old whose bone structure has experienced significant deterioration.
- Tendon transfer: We perform tendon transfers when a healthy tendon can be moved to replace the function of a damaged or diseased tendon in the ankle.
- Ankle ligament repair: Ankle ligament injuries are very common in athletes, but they can happen to anyone. We perform ankle ligament repair surgeries that reconstruct torn and overstretched ankle ligaments. Some ankle ligament repairs require an ankle arthroscopy to determine the extent of the injury beforehand.
- Achilles tendon repair: Also a common surgery performed in athletes, Achilles tendon repair is one of our most frequently performed ankle surgeries. This procedure typically involves stitching ruptured tendons back together, sometimes removing degenerative tendon parts if necessary.
- Ankle fracture repair: Depending on the type of ankle fracture, ankle fracture repair can involve surgery if the ankle fracture is considered unstable. Clean fractures can often heal on their own with the proper care, but many fractures require screws and metal plates to be inserted into the ankle in order to heal.
In addition to the above ankle surgery types, our outstanding team of orthopedic surgeons can perform a variety of other ankle surgery types as needed. To find out the best surgical option for your unique ankle injury or condition, talk with a licensed healthcare professional and contact our office today!
Find a Qualified Doctor to Perform Your Ankle Surgery
If you need ankle surgery and want the best in orthopedic care, book an appointment with NJ Spine and Wellness today!